Billings family safe after fire destroys garage, home

Posted at 7:02 AM, Aug 28, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-28 09:02:00-04

A family on the Billings Southside was woken up by flames early Wednesday.

The 3 a.m. fire at 104 Jefferson Street burned a garage and a shed.

Fire crews arrived on scene to find the garage and a shed engulfed in flames.

They battled the fire in hopes of saving the home, but the flames were able to spread to the house.

An estimate on damages hasn't been released, but a young man living in the home said he's the one who first noticed the fire and called 911.

He said there's been a problem with people sleeping behind their home, so when he noticed the motion sensor light turn on he went outside to investigate.

That's when he saw the flames.


He rushed into the home to alert his family, including his disabled brother, and everyone was able to get out safely.

A neighbor at the scene said the family used a special needs van that was parked inside the garage that burned.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.