Ryegate explosion Friday night leaves two residents dead

030821 CAFE WIDE.jpg
030821 DAMAGES.jpg
030821 DEATH IN FAMILY.jpg
Posted at 3:53 PM, Mar 08, 2021
and last updated 2021-03-09 08:44:18-05

RYEGATE — An explosion Friday night took the lives of two Ryegate residents at their home at 105 Third Ave. W.

The victims, Curtis Allen Ronning and Christine Marie Debuff, were the owners of the Ryegate Bar and Café.

Golden Valley County Undersheriff Mark Olson said Monday that Debuff and Ronning were in Billings prior to the explosion to pick up groceries for their café. When they returned home, they smelled gas and attempted to shut off the gas valves and open all the windows in the mobile home.

After attempting to air out their home, Olson said they went to their bar and café, and, according to people at the bar, Ronning had mentioned that his home smelled like gas or propane.

Shortly after the two returned home, it exploded.

A mobile home in Ryegate at 105 3rd Ave. W. after a propane explosion demolished the residence and killed two people.

“I’m speculating that it was probably a time period of maybe a half-hour that they went home and closed the house up. There was a buildup of gas. We don’t know what transpired at that point. Whether the gas was underneath the trailer and didn’t vent when he had opened the house up, or the leak was so severe that when he did close the house up something came on,” said Olson.

The explosion was heard around Ryegate and by a rancher five miles north of town, Olson said. Debris was scattered around town, but no other injuries were reported as a result of the blast, Olson said.

Olson said that a furnace or another source could have ignited the gas, causing the explosion.

Two nearby residents who noticed the explosion attempted to rescue Ronning and DeBuff but were unsuccessful. One of the men received second-degree burns to his hand and a severe laceration as the roof fell while he was inside. The other man received second-degree burns as well. Both had to be pulled from the home and were taken to St. Vincent Healthcare in Billings. They have since been released.

030821 CAFE WIDE.jpg
The Ryegate Bar and Cafe is closed until further notice after its owners died in a propane gas explosion at their home.

Olson said the bottom line is that people should always contact 9-1-1 and leave the home if they ever smell gas.

“This was a tragedy here. The community will certainly miss them,” said Olson.

Olson said the cafe was recently purchased in 2019 and had managed to survive through pandemic-related shut downs. Business at the cafe had just started to pick back up, he said.

"They'll be sorely missed. All hopes are that the Ryegate Bar and Cafe can reopen. We'll see what happens with that. Currently, with licensing issues and such being that the owners are deceased, my understanding is that they are working with the state to see how they would go about getting it reopen," Olson said.

The fire is still under investigation by state fire marshals and the ATF. Olson said local crews responded within 10 minutes to put out the fire. Responding agencies include Golden Valley County Sheriff's Department, Ryegate Volunteer Fire Department and Lavina Volunteer fire department.

Olson said he's been communicating with Montana Disaster and Emergency Services to start writing a grant to purchase gas detectors for the residents of Golden Valley County.

"Some people just can't afford it. Those detectors are expensive, I think they're $60 or better and people have to buy groceries and they're going to buy groceries rather than putting money towards that, even though it is vitally important," Olson said.

030821 DEATH IN FAMILY.jpg
A sign hangs on the door of the Ryegate Cafe, informing people the business is closed, after the cafe's owners died in a gas explosion in their home.