BOZEMAN – A scary situation at Montana State University on Monday, after a suspicious letter sent one MSU employee to the hospital.
The blank letter, which was addressed to the Native American Studies department in Wilson Hall, was delivered just before noon.
An employee, whose name has not been released, opened the letter and immediately complained of feeling dizzy and nauseous. The employee was then sent to the hospital, where he was later released.
Emergency and HAZMAT crews responded to Wilson Hall and determined there was no threat to public safety. Initial testing on the letter revealed no toxic substances.
No one else was harmed or felt ill as a result of the letter.
Spokesman for the University, Michael Becker, said that while the incident was odd, it was a good test for the University’s emergency response system.
"I think it’s a good example of how MSU’s safety plans kick into action,” Becker said. “Everybody did their jobs and everybody performed very admirably, we called in all of the resources we needed to make sure the campus, the students, the faculty and employees were safe and we’re happy that at least what happened yesterday in Wilson hall had a favorable outcome,” he said.
The University has been in touch with the FBI while it awaits further testing on the letter.
The incident remains under investigation.