FAYETTEVILLE, AR (KFSM) — JJ’s Beer Garden and Brewery is closing today to disinfect all surfaces inside and outside the restaurant after a norovirus outbreak sickened more than 150 patrons.
The company released a statement Wednesday (Sept. 26) saying the Arkansas State Health Department confirmed that the stomach bug was responsible for sickening 175 people who ate at the popular restaurant at 3615 Steele Blvd. earlier this month.
The restaurant will re-open at 11 a.m. Thursday (Sept. 27), and the company said it looks forward to serving customers at JBGB during Bikes, Blues, and BBQ over the weekend.
Live music performances scheduled for the weekend are still planned.
“The Department has determined that JBGB did not commit any health or food safety violation in connection with the norovirus symptoms experienced by our customers,” said Matt Hamm, JBGB executive vice president.
“We continue, however, to take the appropriate remedial measure of disinfecting the entire restaurant to ensure total elimination of any norovirus agents that may still be present on site.”
The health department received 175 complaints of illnesses, with most people reporting diarrhea, vomiting and some fever, according to Meg Mirivel, a health department spokeswoman.
The restaurant was last inspected in September 2017, according to health department records.
The inspector found only one critical violation: disposable paper towels weren’t available for drying washed hands. The inspector noted that this was corrected on site.
Critical violations can cause illness if the problem is not fixed quickly, according to the health department.
Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.