Multnomah County, OR (KPTV) — The guardian for two young sisters is suing the state, calling the Department of Human Services negligent for allowing the girls to live with a sexually abusive teen.
The $5 million lawsuit filed in Multnomah County Friday claims the state knew the 13-year-old boy had a history of sexual abuse.
According to court documents, the state moved that boy into the same foster home as a pair of young, five and seven-year-old sisters.
It says those girls are developmentally-disabled and had been sexually abused before.
The lawsuit states DHS did not supervise the teenage boy and had no plans to. It also claims the state did not listen to the foster parent’s warnings about his behavior at home and at school.
For two months, documents say the boy raped the older girl, forced both of them to touch him, and locked the girls in a room when he was abusing them. The teen also threatened the older girl to not tell anyone.
Documents show they’re suing for $50,000 for each girl for future counseling, as well as $2.5 million for each girl for other losses, including psychological trauma, isolation, and nightmares.
The suit claims state negligence directly led to this abuse.
FOX 12 reached out to DHS, but their spokesperson, Elisa Williams, said they do not comment on pending litigation.
FOX 12 also reached out to the guardian for the girls and his attorney, but no one could immediately be reached for comment Monday.
Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.