Hundreds displaced due to flooding

Posted at 9:30 AM, Sep 04, 2018
and last updated 2018-09-04 11:30:45-04

Click here for updates on this story

    Riley County, KS (KCTV/KSMO) — Riley County and Manhattan, Kansas were dealing with flooding this Labor Day.

According to CBS-affiliate WIBW, the worst of the flooding in Manhattan is on the western side of town.

According to the police department’s Twitter, the Corps of Engineers reported rainfall around 8.9 inches and around 3 to 4 inches in Riley.

“That water then came down Wildcat Creek,” the police said.

Roads were blocked off and residents were told that it was time to evacuate if they lived in the areas near the flooded roads.

There is an Emergency Evacuation Shelter set up at Pottorf Hall located at 1710 Avery. “They are taking pets,” the police said. “If you would like to donate relief items, please contact the Red Cross.”

Then there were efforts underway to set up a second shelter.

Later, K-State released the following statement:

“Flooding in the Wildcat Creek basin in Manhattan has displaced students and families. University representatives are working with Riley County emergency services to provide relocation and support.

Emergency shelters are being established at Pottorf Hall on the Riley County fairgrounds and at Bramlage Coliseum.

Affected students should contact student life with concerns about housing or classes. An emergency displaced student help center has been set up in the Union today. Students who need transportation, housing, or help with personal items should call 785-395-7233.

The Manhattan campus is not affected by this flooding.”

There were at least 300 people displaced. The number of homes affected is not known at this time.

The police said an assessment will be done later on Monday to determine that number.

There were 721 people without power according to Westar Energy. That number then rose to 750 later in the day.

“There are areas where the water is receding, however there are still some areas where the water levels are rising,” the police said. “Please do not go through high water areas. It is NOT safe.”

If you need help, in case of an emergency, call 911. If you need assistance, but it is not an emergency, call the police department’s administrative line at 785-537-2112.

“We encourage anyone who is stranded or in need of rescue to please call,” the police said.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.