Montana News

Apr 8, 2014 12:12 AM by MTN News - Great Falls

Havre man dead following stand-off with police

GREAT FALLS -- The man who triggered a stand-off with police in Havre for nearly 22 hours is dead.

Few details have been released at this point, but we're told that the man shot himself at about 7:42 p.m.

The Havre Police Department says that the man, described at this point only as a white man in his late 20s, was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The situation began on Sunday night when police tried to make a routine traffic stop of the vehicle driven by the man, and a brief chase ensued.

The man in the vehicle then got out and began to run away, and was chased by police, which eventually led to the stand-off.

We're told that no law enforcement officers fired any weapons.

The Department of Criminal Investigation of the Montana Department of Justice is investigating the incident.

The man's identity has not yet been released. We will update you as we get more information.

(Monday, 5:30 pm) Parts of downtown Havre remain closed as a standoff between an armed man and law enforcement officers continues.

The incident started just after 11 p.m. on Sunday near the U.S. Bank on 1st Street when Havre police officers responded to a reported altercation at a bar across the street from the bank after a man reportedly held a gun to someone's belly and was kicked out.

Havre Daily News reporter John Paul Schmidt said when he arrived at the scene he saw a man standing outside of the U.S. Bank holding a gun to his own head.

Streets between 1st and 5th Avenue have been blocked off, and business along that stretch were advised to close and/or lock-up to prevent the person entering their building.

Schmidt told KRTV, "I went there at 11 (pm last night); this man was standing and crouching in this nook in the building, holding a gun to his head while officers were pressed against the wall with their guns drawn and trying to get him to holster his gun, telling him that they were gonna take him to a hospital to get him some food and a bed."

Officials with the FBI, Border Patrol, and Hill County Sheriff's Office are also at the scene.

Reporters heard police earlier on Monday yell at least six times for the man to put his gun down.

Police also said the man wouldn't be arrested, instead they would take him to the hospital.

The man's name has not yet been released.

Late Monday afternoon, several Great Falls police officers -- escorted by Montana Highway Patrol cars and Cascade County Sheriff's Office vehicles -- began driving to Havre to assist with resolving the stand-off.

Mitchell Groce shared this video with MTN News in Great Falls on Monday morning:

  • Story Photo
  • Story Photo
  • Story Photo
  • Story Thumbnail
  • Story Thumbnail
  • Story Thumbnail


Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4